Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Pre-School Parties!

Well, we made it 6 months without a birthday party invite, but then we received two invitations in the same week!

Now, I'm not normally crazy with making gifts for people -- it's just not my go-to response -- but what do you get pre-schoolers that you don't know that well?  I'm pretty sure they don't need any new toys, so I went ahead and decided to sew something.

One of the first patterns I ever bought was for a Child's Coloring Wallet by Jennifer Casa.  We use ours in restaurants all the time, and I figured this would be a good gift for both child and parents :)


It's really easy to put together, and I have a lot of scraps around, so it seemed like a perfect project (it was!).  The only thing is that I like to make things more complicated than they need to be.  The pattern calls for the fabric used for the pockets to be folded in half.  This is great -- no raw edges to finish, no chunky seams for things to get caught on.  Of course, I wanted to use smaller scraps of fabric, ones that I realized would fit the front part of the pocket, so I just used some muslin scraps for the back.  So long as I am prepared for the worse, I'm finding that these sorts of decisions don't have to be disasters (although they are often challenging).  This particular change worked out well, and I even remembered to add the seam allowances when cutting out the pieces (yeah me!).

Crisis averted.
Scraps, busted.

I really enjoyed making these, and I need to make a few spares to have around for the next invitation (or two).  They are so cute!








No comments:

Post a Comment